Ram Rahim rape case: Ram Rahim singh is the Spiritual leader , actor , Director and singer. The CBI court in Panchkula convicted Ram Rahim guilty in a Rape case, triggerering voilence by supporters.
Chandigarh: The CBI court in Panchkula on Friday alleged Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh guilty in 2002 rape case and ordered him to be taken into custody. He will be in Ambala jail, according to the reports. The court will reveal the quantum of sentence on 28 August.
Earlier, Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh appeared in person on Friday before the special CBI court in Panchkula to face the evidence in a 2002 sexual case against him. Tension prevails in Punjab and Haryana where the huge following of Dera followers already descended in Panchkula.
Meanwhile, administration has deploy thousands of jawans in sensitive areas across the two states to handle any wrong eventuality. Mobile internet services have also been suspended for 72 hours in both the states and their joint capital Chandigarh while authorities are keeping a close watch on social media posts also, officials said. The authorities also restricted trains and buses to Panchkula.
Here are the latest updates about Ram Rahim Singh rape case verdict:
*Army called out in Sirsa to control Dera Sacha Sauda followers, says SP. PTI
*A vehicle was set on fire by a group of unidentified people in Rajasthan’s Sriganganagar. Sriganganagar district collector Gyana Ram said that it was yet to be ascertained whether the incident was in reaction to the conviction of the self-styled godman.
*The gang torched the jeep and fled from the spot. The district collector said that the fire was doused by firemen soon.
*Security has been stepped up across the district, which is home to a large number of followers of Gurmeet Ram Rahim, in view of the verdict. (PTI)
* The Punjab and Haryana high court orders attachment of all properties owned by the Dera Sacha Sauda chief to compensate for all the destruction caused by the spiritual leader’s supporters.
*Haryana Jail Minister says Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim will be lodged in a guest house at the Sunaria Jail in Rohtak, it adds.
* ANI reports 12 dead, at least 100 injured in violent protests in Panchkula. Security at Delhi BJP HQ increased post violence at various places after Ram Rahim Singh’s conviction.
* A train at Delhi’s Anand Vihar Railway Station has been set ablaze by Dera supporters, according to police. Two coaches of Rewa Express set on fire
*Home minister Rajnath Singh appeals to everyone particularly Dera supporters to maintain peace. (PTI)
* Police say bus torched in northeast Delhi’s Loni Chowk, allegedly by Dera Sacha Sauda supporters. (PTI)
* Security of Rohtak handed over to CRPF. Rohtak was the centre of widespread Jat quota violence in February 2016, according to HT.
* Malout and Balluanna railway stations were partially torched by the angry followers as violence spread across Punjab in the aftermath of the court’s verdict, officials said.
“Two stations have been affected and we are still getting inputs on the extent of damage. No injuries have been reported so far,” Northern Railway spokesperson Neeraj Sharma told PTI.
* The Northern Railway had cancelled 211 trains to and from Haryana since 23 August up to 27 August. Of the total number of trains cancelled, 91 are Express trains and 120 are passenger trains. The railways has also short terminated/short originated 24 trains.
“In all, the services of 236 trains have been affected one way or the other due to the law and order situation in Punjab-Haryana,” Sharma said.
* At least five people were killed and around 100 injured. Police fired in the air and also lobbed tear gas and let loose water cannons on the protesters to quell the violence, which appeared to be spreading in Haryana, Punjab and even Rajasthan.
The duty doctor at the Civil Hospital in Panchkula said at least five people were killed. A reporter of CNN News 18 TV said a steady stream of ambulances was bringing scores of injured people to the hospital, soaked in blood. He described the scene as “chaos.” It was not clear if the injuries were due to police action or violence by Dera followers. (PTI)
* Police use tear gas shells, water cannons to disperse Gurmeet Ram Raheem followers near Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters in Sirsa. (PTI)
* Delhi was today put on high alert in the wake of incidents of violence in Haryana following the conviction of Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in a rape case, police said.
A senior police officer said that even though there have been no specific inputs of Dera followers planning to create trouble here, security has been beefed up in the national capital as a precautionary measure.
The security in areas bordering Haryana has been heightened, the police said. (PTI)
*A video-journalist of a TV channel was injured when his crew was attacked by followers of Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh, moments after a CBI court convicted him in a rape case today. Vehicles of media organisations were also attacked. The injured video-journalist was being rushed to a hospital.
“We have deployed an adequate number of security personnel to tackle any eventuality. The situation has been under control so far,” said A S Dhillon, Inspector General of Police, Hisar range.
The Army was called out in Sirsa today with senior police officials carrying out a flag march outside the sect headquarters.
“Two companies of the Army from Hisar district have been called out to maintain law-and-order in Sirsa,” a top police officer said. (PTI)
* Mob sets HT photojournalist Ravi Kumar’s scooter on fire. Sangrur sub-divsion office set on fire. Five bodies taken to general hospital in Sector-6, Panchkula. (Hindustan Times)
* Two Railway stations in Punjab have been set on fire. Curfew imposed in Panchkula as well. ANI reports at least 10 injured in violence.